Sunday, October 20, 2013

Day 8 - Dubrovnik, by way of Bosnia-Herzegovinia

Friday started off bright and early again. We had a trip planned to visit Bosnia-Herzegovinia for most of the day, but it wasn't starting till late morning. So Cara and I decided to take advantage of the morning (we're early birds, can you tell? ;)) and head back to Old Town for some souvenir shopping and plain old wandering around.

We ended up grabbing breakfast first at a sidewalk cafe, where we gabbed, perused guidebooks and... recounted the major events of the trip and documented them for my future blog posts!


That's right - I definitely documented all activities in Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?  It was the only paper I really had on me! And, quite frankly, this book was such a part of the whole trip... mainly, because I couldn't put it down. I was literally laughing aloud at so many parts of it and, naturally, had to share each and every funny anecdote with the other girls throughout the trip. SUCH a good read - I HIGHLY recommend it!

But I digress. After documenting our trip was complete, Cara and I decided to mosey around with no real plan in mind.




(Cats were EVERYwhere in Croatia - yuck.)

Anyway, we ended up stumbling upon a farmer's market! Naturally, we HAD to stop and peruse a bit.




By that point, it was time to head back to the apartment. You know what that means, guys...







By this point, I would have to say that I had actually gotten used to the steps. I mean, sure I wasn't ever looking FORWARD to our journey back to the apartment (I mean, please), but I wasn't necessarily ready to collapse by the end of the journey. Talk about progress! ;)

Shortly after we got back to the apartment, we headed to the main road to wait for our tour guide to come pick us up and take us to Bosnia-Herzegovinia. I was particularly excited about this part of the adventure, since one of my good friends in Chicago is Bosnian and her stories about growing up there are, quite frankly, fascinating to me.

Our tour guide arrived right on time and before we knew it, we were on our way to Bosnia-Herzegovinia! It actually is a pretty quick drive to Trebinje (the city we ended up visiting in the country) - only about 45 minutes! Of course, the views along the way kept us quite occupied.



Once we got to Trebinje, we picked up another tour guide who was actually going to give us a walking tour of Trebinje and neighboring areas. Trebinje turned out to be a T-I-N-Y town that was just so quaint, quiet and laid-back.

We started our tour by heading to a huge church that is pretty much THE landmark of Trebinje.





Then, we wandered around its city streets, which pretty much looked like they were straight out of a movie set. I mean, seriously... look at this guy, just canoe'ing along his merry way.


So picturesque.


And look at these fun benches!


Once we were done with the walk through downtown, we ended up hauling back into the minivan as our next stop on the tour was a monastery + winery (interesting, no?).



Check out the monk!! It was so cool to see him - what can I say? I haven't seen all too many monks in my lifetime.


Then, we wandered over to the winery itself.



Aww!! Our tour guide!! I forget her name, but she was spectacular. Almost (but not quite) as good as dear Ivica.


And finally we got to sample some of the wine they made right there!



(Okay, in case you are wondering about Cara's... well, ensemble... we had to cover up our shoulders and legs before heading to the monastery itself. I, naturally, had plenty of cover-up gear since I'm pretty much ALWAYS cold, but Cara had to utilize some of the gear that the monastery had to offer for tourists who need additional cover up material... which explains.. well, is that like a SHEET she's wearing? Who knows. Anyway.)

After we were done sampling some wine, we piled back into our tour van to head to a restaurant that the tour guide highly recommended for us to try. It was kind of in the middle of nowhere, but it literally was the picture of peace and serenity.





After our bellies were filled, we all piled back into the mini-tour van and finally headed back to our apartment. We got back to the place by early evening, which allowed just enough time for some downtime and relaxation (i.e. MINDY KALING TIME!) before heading back to Old Town for...



A very small concert that was taking place inside one of the old churches! The audience was no more than 45 people and I. Absolutely. Loved this. I love the symphony / classical music, so pair that with a tiny audience in a pretty small space and you better believe I was a happy camper.

The concert was only an hour long, so we decided to take advantage while we were already in Old Town to grab a drink at one of the many outdoor bars. There was a big soccer match taking place that evening so all the bars were showing the game... and the places were packed!



After the game wrapped up, we decided to call it a night. We had one full day left in Croatia... and boy, was it going to be packed - needed to rest up!

No comments:

Post a Comment