Sunday, March 11, 2012

High Tea at the Drake

Happy Sunday, everyone! I hope you had a wonderful weekend!

It's been a while since I've caught up with a few close co-workers, so I was quite delighted when one of them decided to arrange an afternoon of high tea at the Drake.

Fancy, right?!?! I'd heard about high tea at the Drake before but, quite frankly, it's never been something that I have really given a second thought to. I don't really know why, because it totally sounds like it would be right up my alley... a total cozy, cultural experience, if you will.

I love going to the Drake hotel. Have you ever been? It's one of Chicago's historical landmarks... one of the grandest, most majestic hotels I've ever seen. In short, it's a (highly recommended) experience. High tea at the Drake? Also a (highly recommended) experience. I couldn't believe how packed it was when the four of us headed in on Saturday, late afternoon.

I seriously could NOT stop taking it all in as we were guided to our little table- everything was just so tastefully elegant and SO not what is standard in my life, let's be honest here. I mean, how often do YOU do activities/events that involve a harpist, of all things?


Once we got settled at our table, we got right down to business. Gossip and tea. In that order. (Well, what? The waiter coming to get our tea orders was a little slow... we had to fill the time with some good old-fashioned gossip!) All of us decided to really go outside our comfort zone and order... the Bombay chai tea. It was actually quite entertaining- what else can you expect from three Indian girls and our token white friend? :)

But MAN, that TEA!


So DELICIOUS!! I was highly impressed, actually. But the tea was just the start of it... soon after our cups were filled, our waiter graced us with... well, this:


Tier after tier of, well, just plain deliciousness. Such a fine balance of savory with sweet... and all of it was just so darn tasty. From scones to tartlets to mini-sandwiches... let's just say that the four of us were Happy (yes, with a capital H).


The four of us couldn't even finish this entire thing- there was just too darn much food and, quite frankly, we were quickly getting full from the limitless tea they were offering us (I can't believe how frequently they would refill each of our little teapots with hot water)!

Overall, I would rate this experience as one big, fat A+. Thanks for organizing this, ladies! As always, a delightful reunion. Can't wait for the next one!

1 comment:

  1. you're making so hungry Christie. I loveeee high tea, but have never experienced it myself. I'm going for the first time this saturday to Alice's Tea Cup and I CANNOT wait. Your experience sounds fun.. if you and Marian are ever here at the same time, let's all go. :)

    ReplyDelete