Monday, January 2, 2012

My Half-Hearted 2012 Goals

Happy 2012, everyone!

I normally love New Year's. I mean, I love the opportunity to celebrate just about anything and this holiday is seemingly all about new beginnings, fresh starts, etc. So, imagine my surprise when I awoke on 1/1/2012 with sub-par excitement levels regarding the new year laying ahead of me. Sure, part of it had to do with the slight headache with which I awoke thanks to the previous evening's festivities, but I honestly couldn't pinpoint the exact reason why I wasn't all too excited about the prospects to be offered in 2012.

It was only after some serious contemplation about my New Year's goals that it dawned on me. I simply couldn't get too excited about 2012 because, well... 2011 was just so darn amazing. (<-- And that blog post only included the top five reasons why 2011 was so darn good to me.)

I know, I know. Woe is me- I just had one of the greatest years of my life. But let's face it. I hate change. I especially hate change when I have something so wonderful to which it could be compared (i.e. 2011, in its entirety). But whatever. Tradition's tradition, and all that. What would a new year BE without some new year's goals, right? Right. Halfhearted though the list may be, I've at least really utilized my organizational skills to break it into appropriate categories, for your reading ease- you're welcome in advance. So, without further ado, I present to you...

My Half-Hearted 2012 Goals*

TRAVEL

1. Australia - this is #1 on my priority list. It will happen. A bonus goal? To fly there for free... just you wait and see...

Since I'm pretty sure that Australia is going to wipe a fair amount of my bank account (not to mention my vacation days), I've forced my remaining travel goals to be domestic...

2. Vermont - Not only do I just want to go hang out at a ski lodge and sip cozy hot chocolate all the livelong day (haha- screw that whole skiing thing!), but I specifically want to go visit the ski resort/lodge that the VonTrapp family (you know... from the Sound of Music?) owns. I mean, I already did the Sound of Music tour in Salzburg, Austria... this is only the next logical step in my quest to... well, fully and completely stalk the VonTrapp family, I guess.

3. New England in the Fall - this has been a recurring dream over the past few years... I mean, have you heard ANYthing but amazing things about those New England states amidst all that Fall foliage? That's what I thought. (And yes, I know I'm kind of cheating since 2 and 3 can be combined here, but oh well.)

4. New York and San Francisco - these aren't really too exciting of goals since I already know I'll be going to each of these cities (at least) once this upcoming year. But hey, whatever I've gotta do to be able to cross things off my list and all that.

FITNESS

1. To become STRONG - you know how most people's New Year's resolutions involve losing weight in some way, shape or form? Not me. Sure, this may come about given my actual goal, but my primary focus is to become STRONG. I recently started going to hot yoga (which, trust me, is not at ALL like my godawful Bikram yoga experience) and am honestly amazed with how you literally are simply using your BODY (rather than, say, dumbbells, resistance bands, etc.) to develop your strength. (Thanks, Alma and Emily, for actively advertising this enough for me to be motivated enough to try it.)

2. To attend the 2012 Healthy Living Summit (HLS) - I attended my very first HLS in 2011 and LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT IT! Great panels, great friends, great bloggers, great food, great CITY... so excited to see what location they pick this year!! (My hopes? Vermont or Utah... random, I know.)

3. To seriously work on my knee - ever since my snow day experience last February (any opportunity to bring up my national TV debut, really!), my knee really has never gotten back to 100%. After seeing a some sports therapist at my first 5K, I realized that if I really do want to take running more seriously (read: without pain and injury), I need to strengthen my knees. Thankfully, I have my physical therapy exercises ready and waiting- it's more just me being motivated to actually DO them on a regular basis. (Yes, I know. This goal is super random.)

WORK/LIFE

1. To develop a work/life balance - I feel like it's getting to the point where I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that this is simply going to be a constant battle for me. I have finally come to terms with the fact that I may have some workaholic tendencies, but I'm really, REALLY trying to counter that by simply being aware of how potentially unhealthy it can be and forcing myself to focus on other things I love as well (i.e. blogging, becoming the next Oprah... well, you get the idea).

Of course, this list isn't fully comprehensive. I mean, I could stick in how I hope to keep in better touch with people, learn to cook, drink more water, etc. but those recurring goals just have NOT worked out so well for me in the past. And quite frankly, I want my New Year's goals to set me up for success, if you will :) So biased, that I am.

*Haha. Just rereading that title... talk about a BUZZ-KILL. Sorry! Happy, happy New Year, to one and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment