Sunday, October 20, 2013

Day 1 - Split

I flew out of Chicago on Thursday, August 29th (yes, I'm more than a bit behind on blogging) and arrived in Split on the afternoon of Friday, August 30th. The flight itself was nothing to write home about, although I DID end up catching up on a couple of pretty high-quality movies along my way:

42 - this movie depicts Jackie Robinson's story and is nothing short of amazing. I was definitely crying at various points.

The Internship - okay, so this movie is of a slightly different flavor than 42 (it's the one where Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson decide to get internships at Google), but it definitely had me laughing aloud at various points in time. I would say... no need to pay for a ticket / rental, but definitely a good watch if you can see it for free.

Oh! Okay, back to Croatia.

So I landed on Friday afternoon ready and waiting for some fun, sun and RELAXATION. The other six girls on this trip had already completed a week of sailing around Croatia's islands (I had decided to just do the land portion of the holiday) so I knew that they would be in serious vacation mode by the time I got there. I ended up taking a cab to the apartment that the girls were renting and reuniting with Cara (my friend who had invited me along on this holiday and the only person I knew at the beginning of the trip!) who had parked it in a lawn chair outside the apartment to wait for me (DRATS! How I wish I had a picture of THAT.).

Most of the other girls were out and about (it was the middle of the day, after all), so I quickly just dropped off my stuff, changed my clothes, brushed my teeth (I hate super long flights) and was ready to GET MY EXPLORING ON! I had less than a day in Split (we were peacing out to Zadar the next day) so I had no time for any of this jet lag nonsense.

Once I was ready, Cara and I ventured out to explore the mean streets of Split... there are so many inaccuracies with that sentence. First, Cara was well-acquainted with Split by this point, since the town is pretty small and the girls had been there for a few days by this point. Second, the "mean streets" of anywhere in Croatia simply does not exist - this country, I would soon find out, is one of the safest and friendliest places ever.

Anyway, we ended up catching up (I hadn't seen Cara since March when she'd come to Chicago for St. Patrick's Day) while wandering around and taking in the sights.




After a bit more wandering, we were ready for a late lunch / early dinner and ended up heading to this restaurant called Fife. The other girls had indicated this place was pretty delicious (some of them had gone there on an earlier night) so we decided to take their word for it... and boy, were we NOT disappointed.


Honestly, this has got to be the best calamari I've experienced in life. Ever. Sure, we're in a country which is known for its seafood, but really. I still think about that calamari from time to time, if you will...

In any event! After a nice, leisurely meal (I love European restaurants that let you just chilllll for as long as you please), we continued wandering along into Split's Old Town area, which was cute and quaint.



And ended up hanging out there into the evening (I was NOT going to succumb to jet lag no matter how hard it was for me to keep my eyes open by this point!).



I was actually quite proud of myself for staying awake as long as I had - I'm such a wimp when it comes to sleep (I just love it so much) - but I was more than ready for bed by this point. We had an early morning the next day, after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment