Monday, July 11, 2011

Five Miles and Under the Weather

Boooo. I hate being sick. Fortunately, I'm one of those lucky ones who doesn't tend to get sick all that often.

Until this weekend.

All was fine and dandy come Saturday morning when 5:45 AM's sunshine came around and woke me right on up. I was actually kind of dreading getting out of bed because I knew I had a "long" run scheduled for the day. Considering I'd missed my long run last weekend (that's what vacationing will do to you, I guess), I was more than a little nervous that five miles this weekend was going to be more than a little torturous.

But would you look at that?? It actually wasn't! And you know the best part? It wasn't even just a mediocre, "thank God I made it through this run" run. I actually felt GREAT when I finished it! Granted, running is probably a glorified term for what I was doing (think more along the lines of jogging and/or speed walking for some), but STILL. All I'm trying to do is FINISH this darn race.

At least I know what my goals are.

So there I was, all on my endorphin-y high by about 7 AM on Saturday morning. Isn't it the BEST feeling to get your workouts outta the way so you can just enJOY the rest of your day? Well, "enjoy" isn't exactly the word I would use to describe the rest of my Saturday. In the course of about three hours, I developed an AWFUL headache that simply wouldn't go away (not a migraine, by any means, but still). So you KNOW I was popping that Advil like there was no tomorrow (if there's one thing I canNOT stand, it's a headache).

Maybe it was the heat? Maybe it was dehydration? Who knows. All I know is that after some legit pill-popping and water-guzzling, I took a two hour nap on the couch... usually the solution to most of my headaches.

Not this time. That darn, dull ache was STILL in the back of my head when I awoke.

Thankfully, over the course of the evening, it tempered itself out a bit, so I was all ready, set, in the clear.

Until Sunday night. Which happened to be the first time in YEARS that I ended up vomiting (for reasons completely unrelated to excessive alcohol consumption). Isn't that strange?

I had gone to a picnic and then a barbecue that evening, so I don't know if it was something I ate or a combination of the one bottle of beer and one glass of wine that I consumed... but over the course of like four hours? Really? Yeah right.

Or maybe, just maybe, it happened to be this medication I took when I got home that shouldn't have been combined with alcohol.

Wowza. Whoops.

Chalk this one up to just plain stupidity on my end, folks. Just. Plain. Stupidity. It's just that, quite frankly, I didn't even THINK that the alcohol would still be in my bloodstream considering a) how little alcohol was actually consumed and b) I hadn't remotely felt its effects at all throughout the evening.

Scary (not to mention disgusting!), huh??

Needless to say, this weekend was quite an adventurous health roller coaster, if you will. From the highs of that long run of mine to the lows of separate, completely unrelated (yet equally painful!) health issues over the course of a measly two days... which just happened to be a weekend with ABSolutely perfect weather.

Big fat SIGH.

No comments:

Post a Comment