Thursday, July 22, 2010
my new apartment! my new dvr!
i have no idea how in the world i survived an entire year without a dvr. it truly is one of the finer inventions of the 21st century.
hooray!! i moved last week!!! relax, everyone who is likely thinking where the hell can this girl move NOW? well, whatever. no worries. i am settled settled settled in chicago! not going anywhere anytime soon (or ever, if i have anything to say about it!) so ready or not, here i am (to stay)!!! :) im sure you're all quite thrilled. ANYWAY. nope. i just moved an embarassing four blocks from my last apartment. that just goes to show HOW desperately i needed to peace outta my old place. i make it sound like i lived in the ghetto. ha. please. lincoln park is about as far from the ghetto as it can get. who are we kidding here?
BUT whatever. no need to dwell on the misgivings of my last place. this blog is about happiness and merriment. sunshine and joy. hugs and kisses. flowers and candy. santa claus and mariah carey... well, you get the idea.
RATHER, let's focus on some of the finer joys of my NEW PLACE WHICH I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT IN CASE YOU CAN'T TELLLKASJFLIJDSFOIWUEOIRwehjnlkjNLK!JNLKj!!!!
1. it's a high rise building. while i didn't necessarily feel UNSAFE in my last building (which supposedly had "security" in the overnight hours, but more often than not, that little security desk was rather empty), i didn't exactly appreciate seeing the back alleyway door left open on WAY more than one occasion... considering i lived on the second floor, this was not the most comforting notion. but since ignorance is bliss is my motto in life (that's right- i admit it), i just continued along my merry way. and it turned out fine. but still.
2. im on the FOURTEENTH FLOOR!!!! now, being on a high floor could have some misses (ie: looong elevator rides) but whatEVER. you need to see this VIEW BABY!!!! hahaha. TOTES worth the fourteen stories. given that my building is the last high rise going south on clark until you hit downtown, you can only guess what my view is... a complete, unobstructed view of the city of chicago's skyline. omg, im in love with it. you have no idea. i most CERTAINLY pulled my blinds ALL the way up on all four windows facing southward on the day i moved in and i have not put them down SINCE. granted, this might not be the smartest idea, considering i shamelessly change my clothes, windows and all, but i dont care. the beauty of it? im so high up that no one can see me! alkfsdjlskd! you would think i wouldve learned from all those years of friends episodes with ugly naked guy but clearly, i dont. haha.
3. my KITCHEN!!! when i first viewed the apartment (which is a studio), there was a wall blocking the living area from the kitchen. which was fine enough for me- i mean, i took the place, didnt i? but THEN i was granted with the most glorious of news! they were totes going to break down half the kitchen wall so it's more of a bar-like area, that looks into the living area. which MEANS it adds just THAT much more openness to the whole apartment space as it IS. not only THAT, but they TOTALLY RE-DID my kitchen before i arrived! it was like magic. really. it was.
4. my MOVE! so i hired movers... those four blocks could've otherwise been real strenuous on me!! anyway, given all the horror stories ive heard about movers, i was bracing myself for the worst. nope. these people not only showed up on time, they showed up FIVE MINUTES EARLY! not only THAT, but they finished TEN MINUTES ahead of schedule!! and they were like the most adorable people ever. i wanted to offer them lemonade (it was f'ing 90 degrees outside + unnecessary ridic amounts of humidity that day) but of course, i had no lemonade to offer. now, if they wanted some multigrain bread, turkey, mustard, or chai tea bags (no chai tea lattes, because i haven't had milk in my fridge for QUITE some time!) i would SO have been more than happy to oblige. but whatever. in any event, i highly HIGHLY recommend EZ movers for any/everyone's moves!
5. my cable setup - this brings me back to my very first couple of sentences in this entry. so our building apparently scored some deal with comcast for all kinds of cable wonderfulness. my old building had cable built in and, while it was sufficient, it was certainly not direct tv. and dvr. omg, as i write this, the tv is on in the background because... well, just because. hbo, starz, encore, dvr, my own little guide... i could literally sit here forever. well, maybe not forever but for a VERY long while, that's for darn CERTAIN! is it sad that i even turned down plans one evening this week because i wanted to... sit... and watch my tv? for a girl who hasn't really watched all that much tv since the 80s (ie: once cosby show, full house, fresh prince, growing pains, and saved by the bell were over and done with, i really didnt see much need for regular tv watching... well, except for friends- but every rule's gotta have an exception, right?), this is quite a 180 im doing. but whatever. maybe the novelty will wear off and ill go back to preferring reading books to watching tv. then again, maybe NOT omg i LOVE DVRLKSDjflkajsdlfkjasdlkfjalksdjfklasdjlkJ!KLjfalksfjoiwerwekjflkadljkfhsdoiUHJ!O!!!!!!!
6. my location! - while i knew i wanted to move out of my old building, i 100% knew that i HAD to stay in lincoln park. i mean, i know lincoln park is considered the yuppiest of yuppie neighborhoods and i am so not a yuppie if i do say so myself, i still love love love this area! but it comes with a price. places in this area are ex-pensive. so i essentially wanted an upgraded apartment without having to raise my rent by over a hundred dollars than what i was paying. fat chance, considering my other place was a pretty darn sweet deal for the location. but look at that! i find THIS gem... and it's only four blocks from my old place!! right on the corner of a main intersection (no worries, my apartment is, of course, soundproof... add it to the perfection, really) and i dont have to change ANY of my wonderful public transportation routes. man oh man, i love chicago. i love lincoln park. i love clark and fullerton. and i love the cta... okay. maybe not necessarily the cta- let's not get carried away here (some of the bus drivers are cRAZy) but i do love me the efficiency of the chicago public transportation system. well done, chicago transportation gods, well done.
7. have i mentioned my dvr? i forget. hahaha i crack myself up.
so there you have it! another recent happening in my summer of many... happenings, if you will. thank goodness for my tv/dvr to ensure some quality relaxation time in the coming few days... you KNOW i already have oprah on my recurring dvr setup.
in gratitude of-
wonderful movers, lovely views, and (of course) the inventors of the DVR